Parenting Tip from www.biblicalparenting.org. I appreciated them defining exactly what directions are. I think it helped me to realize that I'm not just "being bossy."
January 9, 2011
The word "instruction" comes from the words "in" and "structure" and basically means "to put structure into." When someone comes on the scene and gives instructions, that person brings structure to the situation and helps people know what to do. Dad or Mom sees the need to clean up around the house or get ready to go out and begins giving instructions to move the family in a positive direction.
The parent adds the structure needed at the moment to make family life work. Unfortunately, because of the well-worn relationship between parent and child, kids may react with resistance. At that point parents often become more intense in their instruction or just give up. What was meant to be a move toward order and structure has turned relationships into chaos.
Remember that you're not giving instructions just to make your life easier. You're bringing the much-needed structure into the situation. If you don't provide the structure, who will? Of course, the way you give instructions affects the strength of your relationships with others, but don't let resistance keep you from your job. Without instruction, family life falls apart.
"But they don't appreciate me," is an excuse parents sometimes tell themselves that motivates them to want to give up. The fact is, that whether they appreciate you or not, they need you! So, continue to work on your own attitude and frustration level, but hang in there and keep giving the much-needed structure to your family.
Proverbs 19:16 says, "He who obeys instructions guards his life."
- ► 2014 (132)
- ► 2013 (239)
- ► 2012 (399)
- Snow Plans
- Animal Report Form--Currclick's Freebie
- It's all good...and all free!
- Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend...and other jewe...
- Turn that car around right this minute!
- EXPIRED--Bossy R Phonics Manipulatives and Workshe...
- A Thomas Jefferson Education
- Magic Vocabulary Bullet
- Explain New Rules Before You Start
- Unleashing Your Children's Talents
- Homeschooling the Rebellious Child
- FEMINISM IS ANTI-FAMILY, ANTI-FATHER, AND ENCOURAG...
- Overcoming the Midwinter Blahs
- Cutting Curriculum Cost
- The Ways We Have Ruined Our Children
- Giving Instructions
- Well-Balanced Reading
- Super Summit Tonight
- Using Words That Bless
- Multiplication Games Level One
- Why Home Educate?
- It's Winter! Free Pocket Chart Set
- FREE--CurrClick Open House for Online Classes
- Divine Interruptions--Nancy Leigh DeMoss
- Home Education Super Summit--My recap of day one
- OVER TWO MILLION CHILDREN ARE HOMESCHOOLED Purcel...
- Tangled is Mangled.
- One Day at a Time
- ▼ January (29)
- ► 2010 (281)