Thursday, August 13, 2009

My start at blogging about homeschool

With all the wonderful homeschool blogsites available, I choose instead to do mine on Blogger. Since I have other blogs on this site, I just assumed that it would be easier. Also, I feel "unworthy" to really blog about homeschool since I'm not an expert schooling 7 children at once while developing my own curriculum and working on my own website and speaking at homeschool conventions.

So, I blog here. I plan to share some of my good ideas and finds, some awesome articles I occasionally come across, and Micki stories, of course.

Micki is currently 4 1/2...well, more like 4 3/4. She will be doing 1st grade work this year. Having a 4 3/4 year old doing 1st grade work has it's challenges since she's socially & emotionally at one level and academically at another. Thankfully, in the state of Missouri, you are not required to keep track of hours until the child is 7, so this will free me up to accomplish things in bite-size pieces for her and still get a 1st grade quality education.

We are going to teach Micki using the Classical model of education. The Well-Trained Mind is our inspiration and basic guideline, but if you know me, you know that I'm more than willing to adapt, edit, enrich, etc. to anything I teach.

Micki currently has or will have this extra-curricular activities: Classical Conversations, piano, ballet, and gymnastics. Classical Conversations and piano are the only two activities that I'm going to need to work around, but I think it will work.

No comments:

Blog Archive