- Spell words with alphabet macaroni (can be glued to paper) or alphabets cereal (yummy to eat!).
- Spell words with magnetic letters on cookie sheets.
- Use alphabet stamps and let them stamp out their words on paper.
- Squirt a bit of shaving cream on their desks and allow them to write their words.
- Cut letters from magazines or newspaper to spell the words.
- Make a wordsearch or crossword puzzle at Puzzlemaker.com with the spelling words.
- Fun Pens: students copy the words in "fun pens". You can find them at the Dollar Store or Walgreens. They light up, or are wiggly, or gooey, etc.
- 30 Second Words: Students fold paper in quarters. Write the spelling word in one corner of the corner. The teacher gives the students 30 seconds to write the word as many times as they can.
Sunday, January 24, 2010
Spelling Practice Ideas
Found this wonderful list of spelling practice ideas from http://www.msrossbec.com/spelling_index.html. I'm just going to list some of the ones I think would work easier for a homeschooler. Go to the list to see them all including a list of spelling words for first grade.
- ► 2014 (132)
- ► 2013 (239)
- ► 2012 (399)
- ► 2011 (329)
- Hearing Aids for the Whole Family
- Spelling Practice Ideas
- More Parents Opting For Homeschooling
- Is Teaching American History Unconstitutional?
- The Conscience and the Holy Spirit
- A Response to Robin L. West—“The Harms of Homescho...
- Another Reading Assessment
- Guidlines for Children by Jim Elliff
- Why is Grading so Important?
- Evaluate the Strength of Your Child's Conscience
- Reading Level
- A Book in Time website
- Puritan Classical Education Besmirched
- Dr. Laura: Homeschooling Does Not Hamper Socializa...
- Becoming a Woman of Influence: The Case for Cookie...
- Schools Are For Fish
- Home Where They Belong
- 11 Reasons to Teach Biblical Doctrin
- Notes from "Family Practice" by R.C. Sproul, Jr.
- ▼ January (19)