According to mija, if you want your tweenish girl to read something that "keeps her on the edge if her seat," then she suggest Callie's Contest of Courage by Jan May.
Unlike many books on the market for this age group, this book had a spiritual depth and a moral high. Jan May shared, "Our company, New Millennium Girl Books, was birthed from a desire to write fun and engaging books for girls that would encourage vibrant faith and build Christian character," and I think they succeed.
I was very happy to mija read this book because it shows a girl struggling and maturing through real-life issues. I appreciated seeing an eleven year old girl is still a girl and yet shows hits of growing into a godly young woman instead if just turning into a teenager. This book also offers a strong patriotic theme which is refreshing.
Here is a little about the author, Jan May, from the site.
Jan May is homeschool publisher, author and. freelance writer and contributor to The Old Schoolhouse , Thriving Family and Clubhouse Jr. Magazines. She is also veteran homeschool mother of two. With over 20 years of teaching experience, her love for creative writing and her passion for well-educated children with godly character have formed the content of these books.
Callie is the second book in the series. New Millennium Girls Books also offers a writing curriculum based on the first book. It is a twelve week writing curriculum that has a main instruction book and an accompanying paper doll and craft book, where the student creates the character they are writing about and designs her clothing.
Back to Callie's Contest of Courage, one last thing I really like about the book is the use of Scripture throughout. It was not just obligatory Bible verses because it is supposed to be a Christian but the characters actually apply the scriptures in real-life circumstances. The one thing I would add to the book is a list in the back of the book listing of all the Bible verses used in addition to all the other additional resources already provided.
Visit the New Millennium Girls Books website for more information.
- Free E-book on Homeschooling Special Needs
- Review--How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare
- Friday Funny--Technology vs. Paper
- Thoughtful Thursday--From Incomplete to Complete
- Foul Language in Movies
- Friday Funny--Word Crimes
- Review--Callie's Contest of Courage
- BIG SALE TODAY on Nest Learning Alpha Omega
- A Young Living Testimony about Lavender and a 2nd ...
- SavingStar Weekend Freebie---toilet paper!
- Friday Funny---Unbalanced Diet
- SavingStar---20% off Tomatoes
- Another Money Making Site--Updated
- Blast from the Past: Quotes from Founding Fathers ...
- Currclick--Pay What You Want Sale
- ▼ July (15)
- ► 2013 (239)
- ► 2012 (399)
- ► 2011 (329)
- ► 2010 (281)