Saturday, December 12, 2015

Jesse who?

Oh, Jesse tree. Oh, Jesse tree...

You hear a lot about doing a Jesse tree this time of year. You know what you don't hear a lot about? 

Jesse.

We know he's the son of Obed which makes him the grandson of Boaz and Ruth (yes, that Ruth). We know he's the father of David and grandfather of Solomon. He's surrounded by big names of the Bible.

But who is he?

We don't know.

These have been my ponderings during our Advent reading. Here are some of my thoughts and findings.


He wasn't used to the limelight. After all, it was a big surprise to those living in Bethlehem when Samuel came to town. Samuel had to assure them, "Peaceably; I have come to sacrifice to the Lord" (I Samuel 16:5). 

We do know from this passage, however, that he seemed to be a man of God trying to raise godly children because when Samuel spoke, Jesse and his crew were consecrated and ready to sacrifice.

He didn't even seem to be a big fish in a small pond because David even questioned his ability to marry the king's daughter because after all, "what...is my father's family in Israel..." (I Samuel 18:18). I come from common stock. I'm not a somebody or celebrity (yet). 

He didn't know one of his sons would become king and obviously wasn't riding on his grandparents' laurels.  He was just a normal guy. Raising his family of hunky sons. Minding his business. Serving the Lord. 

He was like me in many ways. While I didn't have a godly heritage like he did, I'm just a normal wife and mother. Rearing a daughter and tending a husband. Taking care of my home and serving the Lord.

I don't know what God has for my daughter just like Jesse didn't know about his son's future. He was just quietly faithful. Just like I should strive to be. 

Who is Jesse?

One of us.



1 comment:

Jenn H. said...

I love this. Thank you for the reminder!