Monday, October 17, 2011

Science on the "fly"

OK, it wasn't a fly, but it was an insect.

Mija was outside playing when all of sudden she comes running through the door, "Mommy, have you ever seen a bug that looks like a plant?" 

Well, of course I have says I.  Thinking back to all the photos of walking sticks and such I've seen. 

"There's one out here right now!!  Come see!"

You're a parent.  You know what I'm thinking.  "This sofa feels very comfortable and the last time you told me to come see some nondescript item."  BUT ALAS!  I didn't say it.  Instead, I actually got up to go see.

And this is what she saw:

And then she said, "I have a hypothesis...."

That's right.  She had a hypothesis. (Thanks, Dinosaur Train.)

She thought that God had made this insect look like a leaf, so it wouldn't be eaten by predators (her word) because it looks like a leaf.

After doing some research with me on the Internet, you know what we found out about this katydid (for that is what it was)?

God made it look like a leaf, so it wouldn't be eaten by predators. 

Her hypothesis was correct!

Needless to say, the next day after our research, there was some photo printing and journaling involved.  (I didn't do it the same day because I didn't want to interupt her play time AND touching on the same subject for two days, made it more memorable.)

So, that was our science on the fly.  The joy of home education!

No comments:

Blog Archive