Tuesday, March 30, 2010

End of School Year in Sight!

AHHHH!!! After talking to my husband, I mean the principal, earlier today, I realized I only have 27 active school days before the "official" end of our school year.  My husband actually wanted it to end a week earlier when his college semester ends, but I talked an extra week out of him.

It's really nice to be able to talk to someone "over" me to get ideas and even the final decision.  Of course, since I'm involved daily and have teaching experience, my opinion has a substantial impact, but he gets the final say.

So, here's what I need to accomplish.
  • I need to do 2 math lessons a day.  Actually, I think it will be ok since some of the things are review and some are easier things that she already knows somewhat like money and time.
  • I need to do 2 language lessons each day.  This won't be too difficult because we do First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind and the lessons are very short with a lot of review. 
  • I need to do 1 phonics/reading lesson daily.  Now, I had already sorted through what we had left of An Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading and picked out the things which need to be reviewed or introduced.  Most of them are things she can already read but which I want to explain why and how such as contractions.
  • History definitely will not be finished before the end of school.  In fact, we've had been thinking for awhile that we might have to continue it through the summer.  It's one of her favorite subjects, so it shouldn't be a big deal.  For that reason, I'm putting history on the shelf for right now to focus on science.
  • We had actually put science on hold since December, so that we could focus on history and get caught up.  You can see how well that worked!  Anyway, we are going to do this unit on plants within the next 27 days.  What I get done is great.  What I miss she'll get later.
  • All the cool artist/musician things that I've been doing are to be put aside by order of the principal to focus on getting all the basics accomplished.
There ya' go.  Everything down in black and white.  Oh, I'm also supposed to postpone any "field trips" to the library, zoo, etc.

No comments:

Blog Archive