Monday, October 20, 2014

Freezing Green Peppers


I know the garden season has past, lately however, I've been blessed with a lot of green, red, orange, and yellow peppers. I love to use them when cooking, but with just the three of us, I don't always use them quickly enough.

I fixed that problem.

I Googled how to freeze!

Here are the directions for you so you don't have to Google for yourself.

First
Wash and thoroughly dry your peppers. (You want them dry so there are not ice crystals when you freeze them.)
Second
Take out the core and seeds. and get ready to chop, slice or dice...your preference. I made pepper strips.
Third
Place them as a single layer on a cookie sheet. They can touch each other a little but preferably not stack on top of each other. Freezing this way keeps the peppers as individual pieces instead of a clump of peppers.
Forth
Freeze flat on the cookie sheet in your freezer for a minimum of one hour. One hour gets them hard enough to keep their individual shapes. I left another batch in over night and it was still just fine.
Putting them in a freezer bag after freezing for an hour.
Fifth
Put them in freezer bag and back in the freezer.

There is my finished product. That is about five peppers worth of colorful peppers!


I know I posted it as FIVE steps, but as you can see, it is only five EASY steps with at least an hour break in between!

Now I should never need to throw away peppers and I should always have peppers when I need them.

WIN-WIN!!

2 comments:

a healthier, fitter ME! said...

awesome! I have a bunch of mint and parsley from my garden that I was thinking of freezing, have any tips on that?

Betsy Price said...

Sorry for the delay!
No tips personally, I have had friends have great experience using the olive oil/ice cube tray method. Chop herb into the sections of an ice cube tray and top off with olive oil. Once frozen, simply remove from tray, and store in a freezer bag or container. For your mint,you could use water instead of olive oil.

Blog Archive