Monday, October 6, 2014

The Vetiver Essential Oil ADD Experiment---The whys and wherefores

Back in September, I shared about our first day of
school and my use of Vetiver essential oil to help with attention during school.

I promised to get back with my results and insights, so here I am!

First, let me tell you a little bit about the Vetiver/ADHD connection.

Dr. Terry Friedmann did a study on the benefits of using Vetiver, Cedarwood, and Lavender essential oils with ADD/ADHD children. Now I'm going to be honest with you. The study was very small, but many essential oil people treat it like the Holy Grail AND misuse it. Let me explain how.

If you look at the actual study Dr. Friendmann admits that when it came to ADHD/ADD, Vetiver had good results, Cedarwood worked pretty well, but Lavender made little difference. Some essential oil people I have seen, however, give all three equal billing in being useful for attention deficit. They are not.

Here are the words of the good doctor himself,

In summary, based on this study, I would not hesitate to recommend the use of the essential oil 
Vetiver in the treatment of children diagnosed as having ADHD. I would even consider using the 

essential oil Cedarwood in situations where Vetiver was not available or other cases in which Vetiver 
was not appropriate. 

 Certainly, the essential oil Vetiver proved to be the treatment of choice between the three 
different oils used in this study. 


From my reading, I agree that to be an accurate finding from his study.

As far as the size of the study, that part does not bother me because there have been a lot of anecdotal evidence which I have found interesting and supportive.

The results of the study and others experience are not surprising when you consider the qualities of Vetiver and Cedarwood.

Cedarwood stimulates the limbic region of the brain and stimulates the pineal gland. It has calming and purifying properties.
Vetiver:
Okay, I've dished the dirt about Dr. Friedmann's study and what Vetiver does, tomorrow I'll tell you about what has been going on with us personally.


No comments:

Blog Archive