Posted By Kelly Crawford on September 29, 2010
Some may have never even heard the term “catechism”, so, briefly, it is a summary of the basic Christian beliefs in a Q & A format.
Years ago, catechizing children–that is, having them memorize the catechisms–was as natural for a Christian parent as teaching their children their ABC’s.
Currently, few Christians even know what it means. I submit that the loss of the catechism tradition plays a huge part in why many Christians are so shallow in their knowledge of theology and the Bible.
As a parent, few things are as important as teaching our children how to handle the Word of God–which begins with the basic tenets of our beliefs. It should be FIRST on our list!
And the catechisms make it so easy. To a parent who asks, “How do I teach the Word of God to my children?” There isn’t an easier answer than to begin with the simple instruction of the catechisms.
We prefer the Shorter Catechisms with our children–and even as named such, there are 107 questions and answers to prove challenging to even adults!
As already mentioned, great spiritual heroes of the past were taught these tenets of the faith as early as they could talk, and expected to learn them before anything else.
I admit that we have waxed and waned in our teaching of the catechisms. But my husband and I were talking last night that we need to revisit the practice and see it through.
These make GREAT exercises for school, by the way, particularly incorporated into copy work.
I challenge you…it may seem overly simple or pointless, but I think you’ll be amazed at how much wisdom and knowledge is imparted through these questions, and how often you’ll refer back to them as you daily instruct your children.
- ► 2014 (132)
- ► 2013 (239)
- ► 2012 (399)
- ► 2011 (329)
- Protecting is a Part of Good Parenting
- Martin Luther: In His Own Words---FREE DOWNLOAD
- One of the Worst Parenting Mistakes You Can Make
- Betsy's Price is Right: Homemade Face Paint
- Rethinking Language Error
- Joyfully at Home, by Jasmine Baucham
- Biblical Reasons to Home School
- Some Easter Ideas
- Currclick's Freebie of the week
- Free Curriculum! Yippee!!
- Why Begin a Nature Study Routine? From Currclick.c...
- OHC- American Colonies
- Childrearing is Soulwinning. . . Or Not Posted By ...
- Activities and Crafts by Themes
- Parenting and Prayer
- Not doing the whole thing and still getting it don...
- The Value of Listening
- Multiplication tables - structured drill video
- CurrClick Freebie this week
- Catechizing Your Children--Don't Worry, It Doesn't...
- Columbus Day
- ▼ October (22)