On Christmas Eve, we threw all caution to the wind and attended an unknown church's late Christmas Eve service.
It was totally unplanned, but I often reminisce about attending midnight service when I was child, and so this year the time seemed right.
We came home from my MIL's, Googled local church services, and were in a pew within 30 minutes.
Visiting this church introduced mija to some new ways of worship. The main new thing was litany. In litany, the clergy gives a statement/prayer, and the congregation recites a response.
Because of my spiritual upbringing, there was a time when litany seemed shallow and useless to me. Now I realize it is the attitude and actions behind the litany which makes the difference.
Mija's introduction to litany, choir robes, and candles was going fine until the sermon. She giggled at some of the things the preacher said...not because they were funny but because they were wrong. And then the piece de resistance occurred when the he asked, "And what would God ask for if He sat on Santa's lap?"
I so wish I could have taken a picture of her face. Almost disdain...to even consider Santa worthy to be mentioned with God in the same sentence, but then to suggest that God would ask Santa for anything!
It gave some great discussion on the way including how to act in church when you disagree with what is being said.
And it gave this momma hope that her daughter is learning discernment!
- ► 2014 (132)
- ► 2013 (239)
- Last day to get your free magazine!
- Top 12 Posts this Year 2012
- Friday Funny--My Own Nutcracker Tale
- Secure Daughters Confident Sons
- A Child's Discernment on Christmas Eve
- Christmas Praises
- A Christmas Prayer & The Christmas Scale
- Who Was St. Nicholas?
- Friday Funny--Tim Hawkins for the First Day of Win...
- Coupons for the Zombie Apocalypse tomorrow 12/21/1...
- Come, Thou Long-Expected Jesus--Hypostatic Union a...
- Quote--Charles Spurgeon on Wife and Motherhood
- White Christmas Crunch Squares---YUMMY!!
- The Birthday Gift
- Free Shipping Day for over 1500 online retailers. ...
- Friday Funny--A Musical Christmas
- Another MIja Math Video....converting measurements...
- Free Copy of Eternal Encouragement Magazine
- Measurement story & pictures---makes it soooo easy...
- Come, Thou Long-Expected Jesus: Mary & the Annunci...
- Friday Funny---Socialization the flip side
- Coupons for Christmas parties & gifts, DVDs & Blu ...
- Hannukah starts Saturday evening--history, crafts ...
- Infographic of Homeschool Statistics--Apologia
- “He alone, who owns the youth, gains the future!”
- The Nutcracker---Sights and Sounds.
- Eternal Encouragement Magazine is free this month!...
- ▼ December (27)
- ► 2011 (329)
- ► 2010 (281)