Thursday, December 27, 2012
Secure Daughters Confident Sons
Although it's taken me awhile to get this book read and reviewed, I'm glad to say I'm getting it done in 2012!
I was excited to be able to review this book. I stand firmly on the fact that God made men and women different, and this book deals with that issue in dealing with our children. With a title like Secure Daughters, Confident Sons: How Parents Guide Their Children into Authentic Masculinity and Femininity, I definitely hit the nail on the head. I appreciated how it suggested not only that it can be, but that I as a parent can be a part of encouraging the process along.
The author, Glenn T. Stanton, is the director for family formation studies at Focus on the Family. Just like Focus on the Family, it takes what the Bible says is true, but then adds psychology and culture to support it. For me, that happens a little to much. I tend to follow a more nouthetic approach, so I would like more Scripture and less studies in the book. This is especially true later in the book where you can read page after page with no reference to God, the Bible, or Christianity.
I'm not saying the book is wrong. I just wished he had proved his point with the Word more instead of Cat Stevens, Karate Kid, and quotes from college studies.
I think the book is spot on about what makes male and female and what each needs to grow up to be a Biblical man or woman of God. I really like how Stanton make the point that a girl is capable NOT because of feminist propaganda but in rejection of it. Feminism teaches woman is a victim which is not how God made her.
All in all, I think it was a good book but not a great book. If you were wanting to build your Biblical basis for your beliefs and understanding of masculinity and femininity, pass on the book. If on the other hand, you want a book that gives cultural and psychological support on what the Bible teaches on masculinity and femininity, this is the book for you!
I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.
- ► 2014 (132)
- ► 2013 (239)
- Last day to get your free magazine!
- Top 12 Posts this Year 2012
- Friday Funny--My Own Nutcracker Tale
- Secure Daughters Confident Sons
- A Child's Discernment on Christmas Eve
- Christmas Praises
- A Christmas Prayer & The Christmas Scale
- Who Was St. Nicholas?
- Friday Funny--Tim Hawkins for the First Day of Win...
- Coupons for the Zombie Apocalypse tomorrow 12/21/1...
- Come, Thou Long-Expected Jesus--Hypostatic Union a...
- Quote--Charles Spurgeon on Wife and Motherhood
- White Christmas Crunch Squares---YUMMY!!
- The Birthday Gift
- Free Shipping Day for over 1500 online retailers. ...
- Friday Funny--A Musical Christmas
- Another MIja Math Video....converting measurements...
- Free Copy of Eternal Encouragement Magazine
- Measurement story & pictures---makes it soooo easy...
- Come, Thou Long-Expected Jesus: Mary & the Annunci...
- Friday Funny---Socialization the flip side
- Coupons for Christmas parties & gifts, DVDs & Blu ...
- Hannukah starts Saturday evening--history, crafts ...
- Infographic of Homeschool Statistics--Apologia
- “He alone, who owns the youth, gains the future!”
- The Nutcracker---Sights and Sounds.
- Eternal Encouragement Magazine is free this month!...
- ▼ December (27)
- ► 2011 (329)
- ► 2010 (281)