Monday, April 3, 2017

Mrs. Price on the Pence's Marriage

Karen and Mike Pence
Photo from New York Post

First of all, I know that the whole "the Pences have boundaries in their marriage" episode is so last week...literally, but my family and I have been pondering it all weekend, so it's time for me to say just a few things.

If you happen to be out of the loop because you were vacationing in the Australian Outback or lost in the Bermuda Triangle, Karen Pence shared that VP doesn't dine alone with women other than his wife.

Shock! Gasp! Witchcraft!

So, people started bashing the VP because of his archaic and obviously anti-female ways.

I say, "Way to go!" Boundaries. Principles. Intact marriage of over 30 years.

She was quoted as referring to "The Billy Graham Rule" which was started by the evangelist to avoid the appearance of impropriety. I would call it "The Biblical Guideline for a Healthy Christian Marriage Rule." Okay, it's not as catchy, but it is descriptive.

To me, it just goes back to I Thessalonians 5:22 which states, "Abstain from all appearance of evil" (italics mine). The Greek work can mean appearance (duh) or form. In other words, keep from just looking like something could be wrong and actually doing the wrong.

It's called boundaries.

My husband and I realized it could be an issue early in our marriage. There was a newly saved guy at church that needed help getting places. Since I was at home with a vehicle and hubby was in charge of the bus ministry, it was determined that I could take him.  

Nothing happened during our drive besides errands and maybe a little discipleship. 

But there still was talk like, "Oh, I saw you driving around with so-and-so." "So, what was going on with you and so-and-so?"

Was it any one's business? No. Was it wrong for them to assume a possible bad intent? Yes.

On the other hand, if I would have allowed someone else to drive him or ask someone else to join us, it wouldn't have become fodder for sour minds.

And that was 28 years ago!

Today, it's considered barbaric to set boundaries or to be concerned about reputation. It's crazy! People are dogging on the Pences presuming that such boundaries means he's sexist or lustful or some other cockamamie label....that's right! Cockamamie I tell you!

I really appreciated finding this article by Mary Vought who worked for Mike Pence. I suggest you read it. 

Here is my favorite part, 
"My work product determined my success — not private dinners with the congressman. When looking back on my time in the office of the man who is now vice president, I don’t consider it to be a period of missed opportunities.

Obviously, we live in world where:
1. Freedom to choose how to live your life only applies to those on the left.
2. 







No comments:

Blog Archive