Sunday, March 28, 2010

Hanging Gardens of Babylon

This week my dd made the Hanging Gardens of Babylon.  Actually, it started back in December when we made this ziggurat from boxes.  There was never a break in the weather long enough, however, to get it spray pained, so it was still handy when it came time for the Hanging Gardens.  We had learned about the Hanging Gardens when we had memorized the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, but it made an even bigger impact this time set in historical context.








I have to tell a story about when I went out to purchase flowers for this project.  I went to a dollar store to get the flowers.  The lady in line behind me in line commented, "Oh, you must be making a bouqet."  I answered, "No, it's for the Hanging Gardens of Babylon."   She got a quizzical expression on her face and asked, "What church is that?"  I maintained a straight face and replied, "It's not a church.  It's a history lesson." 





This was the final product.  Of her own accord, Micki wanted to add the prince & princess because of what she learned about it.  Nebuchadnezzar had it made for his bride who was the daughter of the king of Persia. It was an arranged marriage to prevent war between the two kingdoms. I realized that made Nebuchadnezzar the first "Flower Child" chanting the mantra "Make love not war!"

No comments:

Blog Archive