Pi Day is just a few days away. If you go to http://www.piday.org/, you can even send emails! Found a cute website Easy as Pi-Pi Day and here's a list of things you could do:
Celebrate with fruit pies, cream pies, and pizza pie!
You can also have Oreos, cookies, cake, candies, doughnuts, pineapple slices, and any other foods that are round.
Decorate a cake with the pi symbol on it.
Have a pi eating contest.
Go on a scavenger hunt to find objects shaped like a circle.
On the circles you've found, use a piece of string to "prove" pi by measuring their circumference and diameter.
Read "Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi," by Cindy Neuschwander and Wayne Geehan.
Watch "Donald in Mathmagic Land" (elementary school) or "Stand and Deliver" (high school).
Make a list of words that contain "pi" - pinecone, pineapple, pirate, etc.
Look for numerical patterns in pi.
See how many digits of pi you can memorize. (Hint: divide it into 5-digit "zip" codes for easier remembering.)
Have a competition to see which student has memorized the most digits of pi. Here are the first 100 digits:
Recite pi as a team by dividing it into 5-digit segments, one for each student in the class to memorize.
Let kids take turns writing the digits of pi in chalk on a sidewalk and see how long they can make it.
Host a Math Fair where students bring in projects related to pi or mathematical themes.
Have a "Pi-athalon" featuring a "pi-mile run" (3.14 miles).
Play math games and pi trivia quizzes.
Make "pi-dye" t-shirts with math designs on them.
Design a pi poster; write a pi poem; send a "valentine" to a loved one that says U R A Q T .
Dress up as a famous mathemetician. (Hint: March 14 is also Albert Einstein's birthday.)
- ► 2014 (132)
- ► 2013 (239)
- ► 2012 (399)
- ► 2011 (329)
- Easter Freebies
- End of School Year in Sight!
- Homeschools and Education Savings Accounts
- Children & Money
- Who is rewriting history?
- Teaching Children Responsibility
- Hanging Gardens of Babylon
- Easter Ideas
- Is the Shorter Catechism Worth While?
- Seven Special Reasons to Get Up and Get Out!
- Using a timer
- Internet 4 Classrooms
- Toss It or Treasure It?
- The Family: Together in God's Presence :: Desiring...
- Church Time: Occupying Little Ones' Hands and Mind...
- Flowers & chemistry activity
- Pine Tree Crosses
- Getting Ready for Easter
- Spring Into The Arts
- What Should I Be Teaching?
- Free History Channel DVD
- Pursuit & Pleasure of Reading for High School
- St. Patrick
- Free Notebooking Samples
- Cool Coloring Page Site
- An Arts Education
- March 14 is Pi Day!
- E-Sword--Free Bible Software
- Obey First and Then We'll Talk About It
- St. Patrick's Day
- Is it OK for home-school textbooks to dismiss the ...
- Bad Attitudes Come In Three Arenas
- The Secret to Helping Your Child Excel in School a...
- Teacher Created Resources
- Using Nature Study to Explore Science
- How Schools Unwittingly Promote Learning Disabilit...
- I'm a Friend of the Zoo. Are you?
- Museums on Us
- Homeschooling German Family Gets Politiacal Asylum...
- The Human Body free unit
- Veritas Press Art unit and contest
- Fathers in Education
- ▼ March (42)