From HSLDA's Home School Heartbeat...
Spring is responsible for poems about more than just young love! Without spring, we would be missing great pieces of the art, music, and literature. Today on Home School Heartbeat, HSLDA President Mike Smith takes a look at the artistic fruits of the season.
Did you know Vivaldi used the sound of a dog barking for one of his most famous compositions? Vivaldi’s Spring in his great work The Four Seasons is only one of many, pieces of art inspired by this season. Have your students listen to Spring and see if they can hear the dog. How does Vivaldi’s Spring compare to Strauss’s Voices of Spring waltz or Stravinsky’s Rite of Spring?
Visit an art museum with your children and see how many pieces of art they can find that show pictures of spring. If they like, have them try to draw a sketch of their favorite piece. Better yet, send your children outside with a camera to capture their own piece of spring art.
And there is so much literature describing spring! For young readers, Charlotte’s Web and The Wind in the Willows might be good places to start to discuss spring and seasons. For older readers, poetry by John Keats or William Blake might be more engaging. Encourage them to write their own poems about spring.
Many artists use spring as a symbol of new life. Have your readers look at great paintings or books to see how spring is not only significant in itself, it’s also a symbol. What else might it symbolize?
Thanks for joining us this week to think about fun spring activities for your homeschool. And until next time, I’m Mike Smith.
- ► 2014 (132)
- ► 2013 (239)
- ► 2012 (399)
- ► 2011 (329)
- Easter Freebies
- End of School Year in Sight!
- Homeschools and Education Savings Accounts
- Children & Money
- Who is rewriting history?
- Teaching Children Responsibility
- Hanging Gardens of Babylon
- Easter Ideas
- Is the Shorter Catechism Worth While?
- Seven Special Reasons to Get Up and Get Out!
- Using a timer
- Internet 4 Classrooms
- Toss It or Treasure It?
- The Family: Together in God's Presence :: Desiring...
- Church Time: Occupying Little Ones' Hands and Mind...
- Flowers & chemistry activity
- Pine Tree Crosses
- Getting Ready for Easter
- Spring Into The Arts
- What Should I Be Teaching?
- Free History Channel DVD
- Pursuit & Pleasure of Reading for High School
- St. Patrick
- Free Notebooking Samples
- Cool Coloring Page Site
- An Arts Education
- March 14 is Pi Day!
- E-Sword--Free Bible Software
- Obey First and Then We'll Talk About It
- St. Patrick's Day
- Is it OK for home-school textbooks to dismiss the ...
- Bad Attitudes Come In Three Arenas
- The Secret to Helping Your Child Excel in School a...
- Teacher Created Resources
- Using Nature Study to Explore Science
- How Schools Unwittingly Promote Learning Disabilit...
- I'm a Friend of the Zoo. Are you?
- Museums on Us
- Homeschooling German Family Gets Politiacal Asylum...
- The Human Body free unit
- Veritas Press Art unit and contest
- Fathers in Education
- ▼ March (42)