This is from the Desiring God Blog of John Piper.
The Best Way to Punish Your Kids
April 30, 2010
By: Tyler Kenney
In his autobiography, John Paton, Scottish missionary to the New Hebrides, reflects on how his father so effectively responded his children's disobedience:
If anything really serious required to be punished, he retired first to his "closet" for prayer, and we boys got to understand that he was laying the whole matter before God; and that was the severest part of the punishment for me to bear! I could have defied any amount of mere penalty, but this spoke to my conscience as a message from God.
We loved him all the more, when we saw how much it cost him to punish us; and, in truth, he had never very much of that kind of work to do upon any one of all the eleven—we were ruled by love far more than by fear. (John G. Paton: Missionary to the New Hebrides, p.17, paragraphing added)
- ► 2014 (132)
- ► 2013 (239)
- ► 2012 (399)
- ► 2011 (329)
- Field Trip Factory
- Found out about this really cool site from a loop...
- Books for Sale!!
- The Best Way to Punish Your Kids
- Copywork – What’s it All About? by Betsy Stout ...
- One of those days
- What Is Copywork?
- Homeschool Method: Narration
- Why a Schoolteacher is Quitting Her Job and Homesc...
- More Websites
- Free Printable Flash Card Maker.
- Weather Website
- Thanks to LeaAnn Garfias from Home Education on FB...
- An example of my adaptation
- The Theology of Crayons
- Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare!
- The Art of Retelling
- Four Hundred and Eighty-Nine Years Ago He Stood
- Home-schooling Does Not Hamper Socialization May ...
- Ode to Plurals---a cute email
- Feminism in Christian Colleges? Posted By Tiffany ...
- Ten American Girls From History---FREE
- Be Not Conformed
- Standardized Testing
- The Solution Isn't Just Bigger Consequences
- Teachers as Truth Brokers
- Important Constitutional Documents--FREE!!
- The Truth About Women that Feminists Don't Want Yo...
- Tim Hawkins
- Studying Plants in Science
- Home Schooler Gets Book Published
- My Review of First Language Lessons for the Well-T...
- Stupid in America
- What to Do When Kids Are Annoying
- Pizza Hut BOOK IT! Reading Program enrollment
- Awesome Opportunity for High School Students
- ▼ April (38)