Tuesday, April 27, 2010

One of those days

Yesterday was one of those days when it came down to doing math.  We were working on double digit subtraction.  I knew she was totally capable of doing it since when she slowed down and talked it through with me, she did it just fine.   BUT no, her perfectionism had to come out.  When one problem went a little wrong, it became the end of the world and the diva came out.

Of course, this was not in my plans.  I had figured out that I needed to cover two lessons a day in order to finish the school year when the principal wanted me.  I know, it's wrong to be frustrated because you see your child as an obstacle.  It's a sin in which my personality type often fall.  I often put things and the order of things before people.

Well, I decided I was going to meet by dd where she was.  There was no use in going on if she didn't master the material and her behavior.  We worked on it off and on the rest of the day.  I mean literally the rest of the day because we didn't stop until a half an hour before bedtime!

We would do a few problems.  Then she would melt down.  Then we'd do a few more.  Eventually, the behavior problems lessened in severity and time while the quality of the work improved.  In fact, it improved so much that I was able to be sneeky and introduce the next elements of subtraction she would be using.

Did it work?  I think it did.  We were able to get through 2 1/2 lessons today without much heartbreak.  She recalled a lot and needed very little reminding.

So, it was one of those days yesterday, but it resulted in a much more pleasant day (so far!).

No comments:

Blog Archive