Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Columbus Day in Review

Monday was Columbus Day.  We had school but did a significant part of our lessons around Columbus. 

Before I brag on my daughter and her Columbus Day accomplishments, I just had to comment on the whole Columbus controversy.

There were obviously positive and negative consequences from Columbus coming to the western hemisphere.  Those can and will be debated, pondered, and felt for years to come.

But to say he didn't discover something just because there were people already here?  Really? Just because you may not agree or appreciate what Columbus did, you're going to deny his acheivement?

You know, I discovered a great new coffee house last week  AND there were people there already!

DISCOVER (Merriam-Webster.com)
1a : to make known or visible : expose

2a : to obtain sight or knowledge of for the first time
 
Columbus did obtain knowledge for the first time about the western hemisphere AND it did make it known to Europe at that time.  That sounds like he discovered it by the definition.  (Yes, Erickson did it earlier, but that wasn't known to the Europeans of 1492.)
 
OK, I'll get off my soapbox and brag on mija now.
 
After our lessons, I had a worksheet I wanted her to do which would have her write about Columbus.  He had a word bank which I thought was helpful and a small picture to color. 
 
It's not the first time nor will it be the last in which I have her do an activity like this.  This time, however, she asked to do it differently.  She said, "Wouldn't it be cool if I wrote it like I was Columbus?"  Hmmm.  First person narrative.  Her own creative idea.  You betcha!
 
So this was the outcome.
In case you can't read it, she wrote, "Hi my name is Columbus.  You are going to hear about me.  I sailed across the ocean and found America."
 
I know he didn't actually discover the American continent, but it was one of the choices in the word bank.  The picture was cut out of the other worksheet and glued to her notebook and colored.
 
I think Columbus' line, "You are going to hear about me." is a hoot! 

No comments:

Blog Archive