Monday, January 20, 2014

Remembering Segregation

Here's my latest article for HEDUA. It's about my mom!

If you have read some of my other posts, you know I love to celebrate holidays. Today is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. While he may be controversial in certain circles, there is no denying the impact he had on ending the wrong of segregation.

Living Through Segregation

It is hard for our children to understand segregation–thankfully so. In fact, a lot of you reading may know about segregation but not fully grasp what it would be like to live in that manner. However, not realizing or understanding it can lead to not appreciating what those who came before us accomplished or experienced.

A few months ago I took my mom to tea at a local mansion. It was a belated Mother’s Day activity. Interestingly, those sharing our table were all mothers and adult daughters roughly in the same age groups. We were having a lively discussion that somehow turned to the subject of segregation and each of the elder lady’s experiences.

- Read the rest at: http://hedua.com/blog/remembering-segregation/#sthash.mowc0cJP.dpuf

No comments:

Blog Archive