Wednesday, April 20, 2011

It was nice.

I don't have my act all together.  I know that might come as a surprise.  After all, I've got a blog.  That should add credence to my skills as a home educator, right?  Not so much.

I'm more than willing to share a few a my own thoughts, ideas, and reviews, and most definitely share great ideas and information from others.  None of that, however, should be construed as me being an expert.  Just opinionated and willing to share.

Most frequently, especially since I've been dealing with some ongoing health issues, I feel like I'm failing or at best, barely squeaking by.  We're usually able to get "something" done, but nothing like I should or would or could.  But sometimes, you have to be thankful for getting "something."  If it's my best for now, then God will use it.   I've got to trust Him for that.

All that being said, I received a blessing the other evening. 


Not long before our evening reading and prayers, my little girl, decided she wanted to practice making herself dizzy.  Normal kid stuff, though usually frowned upon as bedtime approaches.  Well, she lost her balance and fell.  When my husband went to assist, our dd explained that she had hurt her "spine and pelvis."  We had just finished bones a couple of weeks ago, so it was cool she remembered and cute that she applied it to this situation.


Our reading time usually consists of my husband reading a Bible passage, me reading some from a classic book, and our girl sometimes picking up something that she wants to read as well.  Just in case you were wondering, my current portion in this nightly ritual is Little Women.  You know what?  It's a loooooong book.  It's really great, however, to hear my 6 year old comprehend and even laugh at the funny parts of this book that was published in 1868!

But, what caught my husband's attention during our reading time was Micki's choice of book.  She had selected a book that was supposedly at a 9-12 year old reading level.  Not only was she reading it, but she was reading it with expression. (My husband is very impressed with reading with expression because he can't! That's why he has me read the regular books.)

After finally getting her down, my husband walked up to me and said, "You are doing an excellent job educating our daughter.  What other six year olds talk about hurting their pelvis and spine and then reads from a book that for older kids?  I'm really impressed with how you're doing." 

Now, I know for a fact that there are other six year olds that can do it, but I didn't say that.  I also know all the ways I'm lacking in enriching and encouraging her education, but I didn't bring them up.  I know a lot of things I could have stated as rebuttals.

But I didn't.

I said, "Thank you."

It was nice.

No comments:

Blog Archive