Thursday, April 7, 2011

Manners or Math?

Don't you love it when you child demonstrates good manners?  We recently went to a small, local craft sale.  It was so nice to have my dd actually catching people's attention with her "please" and "thank you." This was especially true since she was doing it of her own initiative without the normal parent prompt, "Now what do you say?"   If you think about it, it's kind of sad that people actually notice manners when it should be just a mundane thing.  But I digress.


Momma teaching manners
Manners.  So the other day,  we were at  home and I said, "Micki, you sure have nice manners.  Did you're momma teach you those?"   To my big surprise, she said, "No."  
OK, so this conversation's train of thought just jumped the track!  What did she mean I didn't teach her manners?

I had to give her a chance to get this straight.  So I ask, "Well, didn't your momma teach you anything?"

Her response?  "Yes, my momma taught me math."

Whew!  At least I taught her something!  But thanks to the wonderful world of Facebook, some friends gave me some insight into this discussion. 

First, she's obviously learned manners from us, but it's happened so naturally that she doesn't realize it.  Isn't that great?  It also means, that we have to make sure to set the example and be consistent. 

Second, my friend Deb pointed out that manners are math.  After all, Love of God + love of neighbor = manners!  Isn't that a wonderful math equation?

So, apparently you can teach math and manners at the same time, and the best way to do it is naturally, so it just becomes part of them. 

Just sharing it as I'm learning it!

No comments:

Blog Archive