Wednesday, May 4, 2011
Some Math resources from Maria's Math Newsletter
I always enjoy receiving Maria's Math Newsletter. You can sign up for yourself here. I wanted to share a few of her tidbits from this month's newsletter.
Math Stars Newsletters (Grades 1-8)
"These newsletters have different kinds of puzzles and good word problems, including challenging ones. I'm currently using them with both of my girls as a once-a-week math enrichment material, and I can highly recommend them!"
This really looks cool. If it weren't so late in the year, I'd definitely try them out. I guess I'll have to wait until fall!
Maria makes great videos. This entry from her blog had videos of adding and subtracting decimals, multiply decimals by whole numbers, and divide decimals using mental math. If you want to check out some of her other math videos, you can go to her Youtube page at Math Mammoth Youtube channel.
I've personally mentioned Spelling City before. Here's Maria's thoughts on it...
Would you like to help children with their math vocabulary? SpellingCity has built a resource to address this: Math vocabulary spelling lists.
If you don't know SpellingCity, no matter what kind of spelling list you use, you can always practice the words in many ways: either just simple practice AND with several different games: MatchIt Sentences, Which Word (find which word correctly completes the sentence), sentence unscramble, hang mouse, word search, word unscramble, etc. Can't even list them all.
I did get a warning from one user that the definitions for high school math vocabulary were not up-to-par (for example, listing an ellipse as "a shape resembling an oval").
- ► 2014 (132)
- ► 2013 (239)
- ► 2012 (399)
- Raising Homemakers Anniversary-- Meet the New Cont...
- I Raise my Ebenezer on the Day After Memorial Day
- More Smart People Saying Things (Quotes)
- Firmess with Relationship
- A Science Experiement for your enjoyment
- Summer Reading Fun
- Too Many Activities?
- The Preposition Song (easy version)
- I'm a guest over at Many Hats Mommy!
- Here comes the Marriage Bundle...
- A fine math howdy-do
- Teach girls to say "no"
- Make It Simple--Teaching Truth
- Five Ways to Implement Computers in Your Homeschoo...
- Call to Beauty and Grace
- Some Math resources from Maria's Math Newsletter
- Intentional Training
- Three Cheers for Not Hiding God in Scholarship
- ▼ May (21)
- ► 2010 (281)