Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Teaching Our Babes to Clean

I must be on a "kids and cleaning" kick.  A week ago, I posted Kids and Chores by Living on a Dime.

I think it's important to me because I was not raised that way when I was young.  It has given me challenges to this day as you can read about in my blog

Both my husband and I agreed a long time ago, that teaching mija to work around the house would be a priority.  This is especially true as I attempt to fulfill the role of the Titus 2:4-5 woman in the life of mija.  "...and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled."  How can I train her to "work at home" if I don't train to work at home? 

So here's a post from Raising Homemakers back in May with more ideas about starting them out right!




Teaching Our Babes To Clean



by Guest Poster on May 14, 2011 in Cleaning


Living in a family is messy business. Ok, living is messy – I can’t blame it all on everyone else! Clothes get dirty, food spills, kids squirt toothpaste all over the bathroom sink and leave it there to dry, boys miss the toilet leaving their bathroom smelling like pee, windows smear, markers and crayons leave marks on hardwood and tile and carpet.

 
I’ve finally realized that I don’t have to keep up with it by myself, and more importantly I shouldn’t keep up with it myself. I do my children a disservice by cleaning up after them. Learning how to clean up after yourself, wash dishes, launder clothes, and care for your home should be a part of growing up.


I’ll be honest though — when I first began thinking about how to teach basic home skills to my kids, I was a little anxious about all the cleaners and the chemicals in them. Certain products in particular, like bleach, tile cleaner, antibacterial wipes and sprays, and glass cleaner, have toxic ingredients dangerous to breathe or ingest. I struggled (still do) with letting my children handle these products; yet at the same time I need to teach them how to be safe.


I decided to approach in in two ways.  To find out what she did, please click here.












No comments:

Blog Archive