Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Board Games--Scrabble

Board games are great. Besides providing fun, family time, they also are great learning activities. Of course, what's really cool, is that it's undercover learning!
Mija really enjoys Scrabble. She has gets better each time we play and asks less frequently for help.

Besides the obvious spelling practice, Scrabble can increase vocabulary and math.  Currently, since mija is still learning to develop the words, we haven't been keeping score, but there will be a lot of great math we'll do when we start! There's the obvious addition, but then there is doubling and tripling.  And if it's double or triple letter, you actually have to do a little algebra by doing some multiplying before adding.

I'll add a personal note. Playing Scrabble with mija on this board is very special to me. You see, this is the same Scrabble set I played on when I first started playing Scrabble. I would play with my grandma. Wouldn't it be cool if someday mija uses the same board to play with her children!

Linked to:
Classified: Mom Hip Homeschool Hop Button 

1 comment:

Kaye said...

This is EXACTLY what we did last night! Scrabble with a 7 and 8 year old. Very interesting and funny!
It made me feel somewhat successful in our homeschool though! :)
Have a GREAT day!

Blog Archive