How can ‘mother’ be a sexist stereotype?
4 Jun 2010
While most Europeans worry their heads off about what is happening to the euro and the economy, certain members of the European political bureaucracy are getting on with more important things. Like drafting long resolutions about how to combat gender stereotypes in the media and having even longer meetings to get their ideas endorsed.
Let me say, straight off, that there are media stereotypes that undermine women’s dignity and in some cases are downright insulting. Why, for example, does the weather girl -- I should say female weather person -- on my local television network always, always, summer and winter, appear with half her chest exposed, unless it is to add sex appeal to what is an intrinsically boring segment of the news hour? Since her male counterpart is always well covered up (and still more interesting to listen to) we have to conclude that the value of a woman announcer is her sexuality, not her personality, let alone her expertise.
Read the rest of the article here.
- ► 2014 (132)
- ► 2013 (239)
- ► 2012 (399)
- ► 2011 (329)
- Double Up...Math activity w/ recipes
- The end of Miley Cyrus (OneNewsNow.com)
- Fall Leaves---Science & art
- Language Arts idea using cartons/boxes
- Get Science Experiments & Videos FREE
- A High and Holy Calling Leslie Basham: Nancy Leig...
- OCH- Amphibians
- Preparing Princes
- Celebrating America's 234th Birthday
- Runner from Ravenshead
- Is It OK for Moms to Have Jobs Outside of the Home...
- Five Ways to Use Audio books 1. Sheer Fun Audio ...
- WatchKnow. Videos for kids to learn from. Organi...
- Cool Insect Coloring Book
- Preschool Thoughts
- Charles Spurgeon's Birthday and Bible
- Cleaning House--Workboxes
- Summer Reading Contest
- Top 10 Trends in Homeschooling
- Homeschooling Dads
- Embrace Homemaking--Be Busy at Home Posted on 08 J...
- How can ‘mother’ be a sexist stereotype? Carolyn ...
- Using Audio Books in Your Homeschool by Molly Eve...
- Summer fun - Inglés 360° | CurrClick
- Free atronomy video from NASA
- Which Camp Do I Belong To?
- 101 Things to do this Summer
- I'm learning, too.
- The Power of Relationships
- Thoughts on Curriculums
- Modeling Marriage
- Currclick's weekly freebie
- ▼ June (33)