This is from HSDLA's Homeschool Heartbeat. If you click the link below, you can listen instead of read!
Cutting Curriculum Cost
Volume 102, Program 8
How do you find homeschool curriculum on a budget? Do you check the library? Used book sales? E-bay? What about extra-curriculars? Join Lisa Baughn and HSLDA President Mike Smith on Home School Heartbeat as they discuss homeschooling in tough economic times.
Lisa Baughn joins me this week with suggestions for economizing in tough times. Lisa, homeschoolers face the added financial burden of buying curriculum and paying for extracurriculars. What are your top tips for homeschooling frugality?
At our first homeschool seminar, we learned you can homeschool for almost free with a library card and a math program. First, look at life and homeschooling as an adventure. How can we create a solid education with the tools and the books and the resources that we own now? Focus on real living books, teaching history, literature, geography, with a guide or a spine, rather than canned curriculum which must be purchased yearly for each grade.
Use the library. We’ve gotten the best books, music, movies, audio books. The internet is full of free resources on everything imaginable. You can find worksheets for math and every subject, organizers, ideas, and even unit studies that you can implement.
Did you know that most museums have a free day? Explore the history, nature, and activities in your area. Go to a historical reenactment, smell the smoke, here the cannon fire. Just expose yourself to everything that is naturally going on in the world around you. And most of it is free.
Well, Lisa, I know these tips will be very helpful ideas for our listeners, and thanks for those suggestions! And until next time, I’m Mike Smith.
- ► 2014 (132)
- ► 2013 (239)
- ► 2012 (399)
- Snow Plans
- Animal Report Form--Currclick's Freebie
- It's all good...and all free!
- Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend...and other jewe...
- Turn that car around right this minute!
- EXPIRED--Bossy R Phonics Manipulatives and Workshe...
- A Thomas Jefferson Education
- Magic Vocabulary Bullet
- Explain New Rules Before You Start
- Unleashing Your Children's Talents
- Homeschooling the Rebellious Child
- FEMINISM IS ANTI-FAMILY, ANTI-FATHER, AND ENCOURAG...
- Overcoming the Midwinter Blahs
- Cutting Curriculum Cost
- The Ways We Have Ruined Our Children
- Giving Instructions
- Well-Balanced Reading
- Super Summit Tonight
- Using Words That Bless
- Multiplication Games Level One
- Why Home Educate?
- It's Winter! Free Pocket Chart Set
- FREE--CurrClick Open House for Online Classes
- Divine Interruptions--Nancy Leigh DeMoss
- Home Education Super Summit--My recap of day one
- OVER TWO MILLION CHILDREN ARE HOMESCHOOLED Purcel...
- Tangled is Mangled.
- One Day at a Time
- ▼ January (29)
- ► 2010 (281)