Monday, January 10, 2011

Why Home Educate?

Once again my FB/blogging friend, Lea Ann Garfias posted some great stuff in her blog Whatever State I Am a great piece, so I wanted to share it with you.  You can go see it yourself here.


________________

Why Home Educate?

Posted on January 3, 2011 by Lea Ann Garfias

The numbers

In America today, there are nearly 2 million homeschoolers. Over 80% of them claim to be Christian. Less than one-third of them are homeschooling to impart their faith to their children.

The primary reasons of homeschooling are to avoid government institution environments or to provide better academics. Many parents home educate because of health reasons or special needs.

Only one-third of Christian homeschoolers are purposefully passing on their faith.

Thus saith the Lord, “Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches,
But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth Me, that I am the Lord Who exerciseth loving-kindness, justice, and righteousness, in the earth; for in these things I delight,” saith the Lord.
- Jeremiah 9:23-24


My husband made me homeschool.

My husband made me homeschool. You can read more about that in my story, “I Know Better,” part oAmy Puetz’s free e-book here. I used to be one of the 70%. After that infamous first year, we homeschooled for lots of reasons: we provided better academics than the schools around; we were definitely cheaper than the schools around; we couldn’t beat the one-on-one instruction; we liked the schedule.

It wasn’t until later, years later, when we had 3 children and were far from any schools, friends, and influences, that we began to see God’s Scriptural pattern for education.

The Bible and Home Education

These words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart;and thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up…and when thy son asketh thee in time to come, saying, “What mean the testimonies, and the statutes, and the ordinances, which the Lord our God hath commanded you?” Then thou shalt say unto thy son,”‘…The Lord brought us out … and the Lord commanded us to do all these statutes, to fear the Lord our God for our good always, that He might preserve us alive, as it is at this day. And it shall be our righteousness, if we observe to do all these commandments before the Lord our God, as He hath commanded us.”
-Deut. 6

Ye shall teach them to your children, speaking of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.
- Deut 11:19

Set your hearts unto all the words which I testify among you this day, which ye shall command your children to observe to do, all the words of this law. For it is not a vain thing for you, because it is your life; and through this thing ye shall prolong your days in the land.
- Deut 32:46-47

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
My son, hear the instruction of thy father,
And forsake not the law of thy mother.
- Proverbs 1:7-8

Hear, ye children, the instruction of a father, and attend to know understanding;
For I give you good doctrine;
Forsake ye not my law.
For I was my father’s son,
Tender and only beloved in the sight of my mother.
He taught me also, and said unto me,
Let thing heart retain my words;
Keep my commandments, and live.
Get wisdom, get understanding;
Forget it not, neither decline from the words of my mouth,
Forsake her not,
And she shall preserve thee;
Love her, and she shall keep thee.
Wisdom is the principle thing; therefore, get wisdom;
And with all thy getting, get understanding …
I have taught thee in the way of wisdom; I have led thee in right paths.
– Proverbs 4:1-11

Fathers… bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.
- Ephesians 6:4

For more Scripture, see Gen 18:19; Psalm 1; Prov 23:6; Eph 4:17-24; 2 Cor 6:14-7:1; Titus 2:1-15; 1 Peter 1:15-16.

The Why of Home Education is so Important

The Lord used Bible passages such as these to strengthen our hearts during difficult trials in our own home education journey. It has not always been easy. We have lost jobs, faced death and disappointment, and struggled through illness. I am not proud to say that I have begged to put my children on the yellow school bus. Earnestly, tearfully, frantically. I know that desperate feeling.

But now I know why and it is the why that is so important now – at the New Year – and every time we face doubts and fears.

I am home educating my children to pass on my faith, to show them God is real every day, and to point them constantly to God’s Word as the ultimate Authority for their life.

That is really all that matters.

Will you join me?

No comments:

Blog Archive