Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Autism and Immunizations--Is there a correlation?

April is Autism Awareness Month.


I am in no way able to do a dissertation on the possible links between the increased use of vaccinations and rise in rates of those children living on the Autism Spectrum.


I vaccinated Mija, but it was before I knew about the issues. Thanks to God, we haven't had any issues. I don't know what I would do now, but things like the graphic below, make me ponder. Notice that in addition to the increase in immunizations there is a decrease in the RATIO of the rate in autism. It went from 1 in 10,000 in 1983 to 1 in 150!


Let me know what you think on the subject.
                                         10                        36

3 comments:

Victoria Stankus said...

It's interesting how autism has increased with how the amount of immunizations have increased, isn't it? From what I personally know (as a mother of an autistic child) is that there is no 100% definitive answer on this yet. However, the evidence I have seen points to the fact that immunizations cand and do play a roll. They obviously do not CAUSE autism, because that would make everyone who gets them to become autistic. So, there is something deeper going on. Several articles I have read seem to suggest many of our kids have a genetic abnormality that, when given vaccinations, triggers the autism. More research needs to be done on this. So, until a definitive answer is given, those who choose not to vaccinate should not be criticized, just as those who choose TO vaccinate should not be criticized. It is a very personal choice that each one must make regarding their own children.

Betsy Price said...

Excellent thoughts, Vicky. And I think it is a hard choice about choosing to vaccinate or not.
Thanks!

Jenifer Metzger said...

My husband and I talked about this the other day. Our kids are 14, 12, 10 and 9 and were all vaccinated. As you said, PRAISE GOD we have not had any problems!!!

I have no idea if the two are connected or not, but it does seem likely. If we ever had another (no plans to though) would I vaccinate again? When we discussed this we really couldn't decide what would be best. It is almost like choose the lesser of two evil and pray God protects your child!

Blog Archive