My pastor is an expository preacher which basically means he preaches straight through a book of a Bible instead of topically. It's a big blessing because you can see Scripture in the context of which it was written which is the way it was made to be read if you think about it.
After all, when you read a book or a letter, do you start in the middle, jump to a sentence at the beginning, read the end of another book....etc.? It's probably why I like to teach history in order, too!
Anyway, knowing what my pastor is going to preach on next Sunday allows me to review that passage ahead of time. That's why this passage is really standing out to me this week!
(Luke 6:43-45 ESV emphasis mine)
This is so convicting. What comes out of my mouth when I haven't run it through my "spiritual" filter before I speak it? I'm not going to tell you, but obviously it's something I need to work on or I wouldn't be writing about it! It reminds me of a quote from Amy Carmichael:
If a sudden jar can cause me to speak an impatient, unloving word, then I know nothing of Calvary love. For a cup brimful of sweet water cannot spill even one drop of bitter water, however suddenly jolted.
Sometimes when I'm jolted, I'm not very sweet.
What am I doing to work on it? I'm working on filling my heart with more good than bad. I'm reading the Word more. I'm reading godly books more. I'm listening to audio sermons, Scripture on CD, and Christian music more. AND I'm talking to myself more and listening to myself less. Unfortunately, when we listen to ourselves, it's usually grumbling or negative, so in this case, being slow to listen and quick to speak the truth is a good thing!
Give me some ideas. What do you do to be brimful of sweet water, so don't spill even one drop of bitter water?
- ► 2014 (132)
- ► 2013 (239)
- NHBA Book Group, Wonderstruck, Finger Spelling, an...
- One Lovely Blog Award
- Friday Funny--Socialization Myth
- Comfort for Christian Parents of Unconverted Child...
- Sunday Coupon Preview
- A Cup Brimful of Water--speaking out of the abunda...
- New Coupons on Blu-ray discs
- Non-Mother's Day--I'm posted at Home Educating Fam...
- My Church's Ladies' Retreat--Piper, DeMoss, Chan, ...
- Hitler's Birthday and the "180" abortion movie
- Friday Funny--Math style
- Sunday Coupon Insert Preview
- Autism and Immunizations--Is there a correlation?
- New Coupons: Johnson's baby, Greenworks, Egg Beate...
- Free Cupcake Ebook from American Family
- Proverbs 31 study with Good Morning Girls--Want to...
- Learn how to love your puppy with Purina's FREE Pu...
- 5 Weeks, 5 Disciplines, 5 Challenges--Week 2
- Friday Funny--Two Views of Homeschooling
- Sunday Coupon Preview
- Raising Children who Hope in the Triumph of God--J...
- New Coupons--Hostess, Scotch-Brite, more
- Til Death Do Us Part--Awesome Short Film on Marria...
- New Coupons--Wisk, belVita, Hot Shot and more...
- 5 Weeks 5 Disciplines 5 Challenges--MyFitnessPals ...
- CVS--Post Easter buying for next year
- Happy Resurrection Sunday!
- Friday Funny--Easter-style
- $1.00 off 2 Dial Body Wash--Snag this coupon
- April Calendars for holiday and celebrations
- No Coupon Inserts this Week
- Two Easter Candy Coupons--hurry!
- Easter Egg Lesson Resources from ClickSchoolingcom...
- Big G Curvy Straws
- Hard-boiled Easter eggs in a Crockpot with no wate...
- Free Sample of Prilosec
- New Copons.com Coupons
- Eternal Encouragement Magazine--I'm in print.
- ▼ April (39)
- ► 2011 (329)
- ► 2010 (281)