Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A Cup Brimful of Water--speaking out of the abundance of your heart

My pastor is an expository preacher which basically means he preaches straight through a book of a Bible instead of topically. It's a big blessing because you can see Scripture in the context of which it was written which is the way it was made to be read if you think about it. 
After all, when you read a book or a letter, do you start in the middle, jump to a sentence at the beginning, read the end of another book....etc.? It's probably why I like to teach history in order, too!
Anyway, knowing what my pastor is going to preach on next Sunday allows me to review that passage ahead of time. That's why this passage is really standing out to me this week!
For no good tree bears bad fruit, nor again does a bad tree bear good fruit, for each tree is known by its own fruit. For figs are not gathered from thornbushes, nor are grapes picked from a bramble bush. The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks. (Luke 6:43-45 ESV emphasis mine)

This is so convicting. What comes out of my mouth when I haven't run it through my "spiritual" filter before I speak it? I'm not going to tell you, but obviously it's something I need to work on or I wouldn't be writing about it! It reminds me of a quote from Amy Carmichael:
If a sudden jar can cause me to speak an impatient, unloving word, then I know nothing of Calvary love. For a cup brimful of sweet water cannot spill even one drop of bitter water, however suddenly jolted.
Sometimes when I'm jolted, I'm not very sweet.
What am I doing to work on it? I'm working on filling my heart with more good than bad. I'm reading the Word more. I'm reading godly books more. I'm listening to audio sermons, Scripture on CD, and Christian music more. AND I'm talking to myself more and listening to myself less. Unfortunately, when we listen to ourselves, it's usually grumbling or negative, so in this case, being slow to listen and quick to speak the truth is a good thing!


Give me some ideas. What do you do to be brimful of sweet water, so don't spill even one drop of bitter water?


No comments:

Blog Archive