I was a little surprised when I received Lord, I Give You This Day. I was thinking about all the great Bible studies Kay Arthur does in her "Lord" series, so opening the package to find a devotional was interesting. I did find out, however, that the devotions in this book are drawn from her "Lord" Bible studies hence the name.
Before I continue my review I want to add a caveat about devotionals. Hebrews 5:14 assures us that mature believers need the meat of the Word. So, where do devotionals fall into the picture? I liken most devotionals as vitamins; you get some nutrients but not everything you need. If your sole diet is only supplements, you will be weak and anemic. If your sole spiritual diet are only devotionals, the same will be true of your spiritual health.
Now on specifically to Lord, I Give You This Day.
I was impressed with Kay Arthur's ability to give some meat in these one page devotionals. I think it is because each piece is focused more on confronting rather than comforting. Educating more than merely encouraging. Each day, I've been challenged by Arthur in my Christian walk.
You know you might get your toes stepped on when a devotional starts like...
Are you considering compromise in some area of you life?
Precious one, do you realize that the very blessings of the Lord can seduce our affections away from the Giver...?
Will you pause for a moment and think with me about the standards of our day?
Yes, definitely more depth than the "Jesus loves you" or "Be good today" that you get with many devotionals.
That being said, I recommend this devotional if you want to use one. It goes deeper than the general devotional, yet remains in easy to read chunks.
I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.
- ► 2014 (132)
- Superbowl Snacks Coupons
- Thespian Update
- Helping Hands at Home--EE Kindle Book
- Personalized Valentine Gift Deals
- Blame shifting--From the Bible to the Babe
- Last chance for Cepacol coupon
- Friday Funny--Stuff Christian Moms Say
- Lord, I Give You This Day---devotional review
- Youth Theater---giving it a try again
- Creating Contentment Online Seminar--Tues., Jan. 2...
- Blame it on Little House on the Prairie--HEF Blog
- Friday Funny--Public School, Ritalin, Television, ...
- The K5 Kids--Contemporary Christian for Kids
- Pat Robertson---puleeze stop embarrassing yourself...
- Free Science Class on Magnetism
- Friday Funny--Periodic Table
- Continuing Education for Mom
- Mail to the Chief---National Handwriting Day
- Martin Luther had a Wife---and so did many other r...
- Literature Coming to Life in our Life
- Friday Funny--Patty Cake with Cats
- Books I Need for an Upcoming Counseling Class
- Homemaker's Creed
- Books, Crafts and more for our Winter study--Snowf...
- New Year Resolution
- ▼ January (25)
- ► 2012 (399)
- ► 2011 (329)
- ► 2010 (281)