Monday, April 1, 2013

Recipe for your Extra Ham--Smothered Ham 'n Cabbage


Ham is one of the traditions of Easter dinner. Here's a recipe you can use for some leftover ham.

baked ham w clovesI just made some of this last week. I wish had taken a picture. My family loves it anytime of the year, and my hubby doesn't even like cabbage. I originally got this recipe from Prism Weight Loss.



Smothered Ham 'n Cabbage

3 teaspoons butter
1/2 cup chopped onion (I just use a half of onion.)
1 clove garlic, minced (I use garlic powder if I'm out.)
8 oz. of cubed ham (I never measure this. I just put in however much looks good.)
1/2 cup mushrooms (I NEVER add mushrooms and don't miss them.)
4 cups green cabbage (I just use the whole head.)
2 cups sliced carrots 
1 bay leaf (Always forget to buy, so I never use!)
1/4 teaspoon pepper (I like a little more.)
2 cups water
2 packets instant beef broth & season mix
1 tablespoon cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tablespoons water

In 5 quart saucepan or Dutch oven heat butter until bubbly and hot; add onion and garlic and saute until onion is softened. Add ham and mushrooms and saute for 2 minutes. Add cabbage, carrots, bay leaf, and pepper and continue sauteing for 5 minutes longer. Stir in water and broth mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and let simmer, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes. Stir in dissolved cornstarch and let simmer, uncovered, until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove bay leaf before serving.

It's thick and yummy. Stew-like. I use the times mentioned as a suggestion.
It goes well with salad and a bread.

No comments:

Blog Archive