Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Can't see the disobedience for the cuteness...

I don't regularly follow college basketball, but something about this article caught my eye.

The coach of Texas A & M has a 7-year-old daughter.  She's become the teams MVP, of sorts.

Every time the opposing team goes up for a free throw, the girl screams.  It seems to work since in the game in question, the other team missed six of eight foul shots in the final four minutes.  After all, she screams.  Screams so loudly, in fact, you could hear it throughout Madison Square Garden.  Hear for yourself:



Yup, she's loud.

But out of the whole article, here's the sentence that caught my attention:
"...she's been doing this for about a year even though her dad has asked her to tone down the screaming on the road."

It gave me a couple of thoughts.
1. Apparently, her father thinks his team needs his daughter's unconventional help. What's that say about his coaching skills?
2. Apparently, her father told her a year ago to "tone down the screaming on the road."  Yet here she's getting news coverage and even interviewed about her blatant disobedience.  What's that say about his parenting skills?

Maybe I'm overreacting, but it did give me pause.  How often do I allow disobedience because it's cute, helpful or in public?  Hopefully if I do, it won't make the news!

3 comments:

Eddie said...

I'm with you. If it were my child, I'd leave her home with a sitter until she could be trusted to behave herself.

Thanks for your comment on my blog last night! Have added myself as a follower.

Meryl said...

This is a great post. You are SO right and I may even add one: These kids on the team are also learning the wrong lesson. It should be about the game - playing - not cheating by distraction. Finally, shouldn't she have her own life and not be a team appendage?

Betsy Price said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who see what I see!!!

Thanks, ladies. Excellent insites as well!

Blog Archive