Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Mija is the word

A number of people have asked me recently why I call my daughter "mija" on my blog and what it means. I thought I'd take a moment to share.

First the why. Early in my blog, I referred to my daughter by name, but then I learned from other bloggers that there could be dangers or privacy issues. Strangers would know my daughter's name and could use it. While it wouldn't be an issue most of the time, it only takes one kook to cause trouble.

Now, on to "mija".  Mija is pronounced ME-HA.  It's a Spanish abbreviation for "my daughter." And since I am discussing my daughter, and I have a Mexican heritage, I use "mija." 

What's really funny is that mija is about an eighth Mexican, so really funny seeing this little blond-haired, blue-eyed girl talk about being Mexican!
Oh, and sometimes you'll see me refer to "abuelita." "Abuelita" means "grandma" in Spanish. That's what mija calls my mom!
Abuelita, mija, y una prima (and a cousin)

There is your Spanish lesson for the day!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a really good idea. That's why I use "Little Bit" and "Sweet Pea" on my blog. I don't mind using MY name or my husband's name, but I'm not going to let the kooks get my daughters' names.

Oh, and I love the new colors on your site. Pretty. :D

Anonymous said...

That is beautiful :) I need to be better ;) I tend to use their first letter of their name and the birth order but sometimes, I admit, have let that slide :( thanks for the reminder!

Blog Archive